“Rigor of beauty is the quest. But how will you find beauty when it is locked in the mind past all remonstrance?” – William Carlos Williams, Paterson
Great second discussion today on Braid! Next week we’ll continue with discussion, expanding our discussion up to World 6 (so, Worlds 2-6), leaving 1 and the “star” content for later. In preparation, please observe the following:
- Play as far as you can. If you get stuck, watch videos on Youtube of the remaining content. I’ve archived a video series that is pretty good here, but the voice-over commentary can be annoying at times.
- Resources for analysis. This ZIP file has a lot of key imagery (screen captures of text, key events), and you can find them individually at this URL: http://share.bloodedbythought.org/Braid/. There is also Armand’s very clean shots here.
- My slides. For reference, take a gander again. You will need to for….
- Discussion Prep. For Monday, identify one “expressive element” (something in the game that contributes to one of the 3 “layers” I posited in the slides), and comment on how you see it working, its significance. Type all this out, and bring it to class.
- David Hellman on The Art of Braid: http://www.davidhellman.net/blog/the-art-of-braid-index
- Jonathan Blow, “Video Games and the Human Condition”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqFu5O-oPmU
- An article on game culture for historical context: http://depts.washington.edu/critgame/project/better-game-culture/